Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ipanema

IMG_4518.JPG

I’ve been hearing about Ipanema from a buddy of mine (hi Adam!) for years now… literally.  He raves about this place almost as though it were his or family owned ;) so a bunch of us gathered on a muggy day to check out the goodies…

IMG_4520.JPG

Chorizo or was this kalabeza?  Spiced sausage, pretty tasty… I was picking this up and just eating it alone!

IMG_4521.JPG

Various empanadas filled with yummies… I like the croquette-like ones, deep fried mashed potatoes.

IMG_4524.JPG

The extremely potent looking hot sauce.  I avoided this except to take a picture… Adam is insane.  He was eating the chiles like candy… as was Sir Eats-a-Lot, amusingly.  I was kind of scared watching them.

IMG_4525.JPG

Very strong caipirinhas… loads of tequilacachaca in there.

IMG_4526.JPG

M.’s seafood dish.  I think she liked it.

IMG_4527.JPG

Blondie’s coconut filled with shrimp curry and mashed potatoes…

IMG_4536.JPG

Blondie couldn’t wait so she dove in.

IMG_4528.JPG

My steak topped with a fried egg.  Small complaint: my fried egg did not have a runny yolk.  HUGE complaint: that sauce is like crack.  Just looking at it, I want to reach into my monitor and tip that bowl, drinking all that glorious liquid into my bloodstream and just enjoying that high you get until your next fix… ahem.  I mean.  This came with fried disks of potato and rice, which I didn’t take pictures of, but dipping the potatoes into the sauce was amazing, and the rice was good in it too, but who cares.  I said fried potato.  OMG.

IMG_4529.JPG

Chris’s seafood dish… I hope he’ll chime in with his thoughts.

IMG_4542.JPG

CT’s “salad” which, she informed me, was good but didn’t really contain as much greens as she’d thought it would – as in, it was covered in meats and assorted animal parts.  Not that this is a bad thing, just surprised her since she wanted something small… looks really good though!  (Hopefully she’ll chime in with her thoughts as well!)

Yvo says: So my dish was covered in liquid crack.  I think that alone would be worth a return trip.  The steak part was ok.  The egg was alright.  The fried potatoes covered in that sauce, though?  Amazing.  I clearly paid no attention to what everyone else ate nor what they thought and instead focused solely on my delicious sauce.  Mmm.  I have to say, though, as amazing and garlic-infused as that sauce was, I don’t think I could eat here more than once in a long while – it was way too rich for me to comfortably eat that often, as much as I’d like to…
recommended

Ipanema on Urbanspoon

Comments

15 Responses to “Ipanema”
  1. TT says:

was I not there? what happened to the pic of my dish?

it was very good. Adam was right to talk it up as much as he had.

• I was going to say I don’t know, I uploaded them all, but I just looked. I found 5 pictures of something very very blurry that I had no idea what it was or what it could possibly be. Was that it? Good job with the steady hands ;) <3 So tell me what you had and what it should have looked like? And how good it was? Thanks!

• TT says:

i think i had this: CARNE DE PORCO À ALENTEJANA
        Chunks of Loin Pork, Roasted Potatoes and Clams in a Herb Sauce.

It was good!

I took a great picture, I always do :)

2. mike says:

Did the caipirinhas really have tequila? I’m pretty sure they are supposed to have cachaca.

3. CheeeeEEEEse says:

When I was there I had the steak with the fried egg on top too….same conclusion, I would take that sauce intravenously, snort it, or freebase it….only I must have it. MOAR!

4. Chris says:

I agree, the butter sauce on the bife portuguesa was delicious, almost too decadent. The “seafood dish” was vatapa – very generous with the monkfish and shrimp, and good flavors from the dende palm oil and coconut milk. Again, very decadent (ie. fattening), but very tasty.

I usually get the feijoada, it’s quite good here, and less oily than the vatapa or the bife portuguesa. Their bolinhos de bacalau are also excellent.

5. T.C. says:

Man, the dinner at Ipanema looks wonderful. I want the bife portuguesa!! Hopefully another dinner gets set up here soon.

The chili sauce looks good too. Illuminating Red!

6. Hungry says:

I missed this meat fest!

7. CT says:

Boy, that was the most meat-tastic salad ever. Too bad I was sick and that was the reason I wanted a light salad to begin with. But how could I resist once it was in front of me?!

8. Lamchop says:

I’ve been to Ipanema!! Their paella was to die for. Not to mention they give you generous portions and I believe free chips too. Ah, I think I will head back some time soon.

9. kcijones001 says:

this place looks awesome.

10. skippymom says:

I want mashed potatoes in a coconut. How awesome is that? Were those black olives on it?

“The sauce was crack” made me laugh. I know how you feel. “Oh waiter could please bring me a straw? I feel the need to snort this.” HA. Looks delish, sorry about the egg – there is no purpose to having an egg over a dish like this if it is hard cooked. The whole point IS the yolk.

11. Walker says:

it funny, the restaurant i bartend at serves tons of caipirinhas and at least 2 a night get sent back because the person thought i used tequila instead of cachaca