(I have one last Paris post to write, and I’m dragging my feet a little because I don’t want it to end! I’m reliving my amazing trip through these posts…)
Merh. I’m not feeling the holiday spirit. Not particularly grinch-like, but let’s just say that I barely looked up to buy gifts for anyone. I’m a fantastic, personalized gift giver who manages to regularly be the person to get you something you didn’t even realize you wanted but when you open it, you’re like “of course!!! this is perfect!!!”
Not to brag or anything.
Unfortunately, due to lots and lots of circumstances, I just haven’t felt like doing that this year. It’s a pretty safe bet that this year I’m a hater: hater of all things holiday. I put my tree up to see if I could incite some holiday spirit, but my dog took it upon herself to knock it over when I wasn’t home, and unwrap half of my presents (I don’t tend to open my gifts until Christmas).
In any case, whether you’re a hater or a procrastinator, here’s a guide to gifts you can still order today and no one will know you waited till nearly the last minute.
- bonbite – this nifty little service offers two great curated lunch options 3 days a week, and I’ve had the pleasure of trying their lunch. Today only they’re offering an amazing gift – you have to order by 7pm today, though, so hurry! – $30 gets you this amazing gift basket of goodies (whoopie pies, chocolate chip cookies, apple jam, and more) delivered within their NYC delivery zone. Email email@example.com for more information and to order (this was sent in an email blast, so it’s not on their website).
- Nibblr & Graze – similar ideas, but different applications; snack subscriptoins! Nibblr sends you a bunch of small portion snacks and you can adjust your subscription – I tried some and I like the idea a lot, plus it’s regular mail so it goes right in your mail box (no boxes to worry about the mailman not delivering). Graze you go through and rate things from their huge list of snacks and you can choose how often they come, and what types there are – I also tried this and liked some, though I failed to properly remove everything that had coconut so they sent me something with coconut flakes in it, blegh (I’m allergic). In any case, I highly recommend checking out either or both sites – and if you decide to use Graze, use cose YVOS3LYNE to get your first box of snacks free!
- Handy Book – This was a little treat I gave myself a few months ago; I started a regular cleaning schedule. Yep — I now have a cleaning lady (I actually really like mine; she comes every 2 weeks) and it is the greatest thing ever. It frees up my time to do other things and makes sure I have a clean home, all good things. Yes, it’s a luxury. I am fully aware. In any case, you can gift yourself or someone else (worst hint ever?) with a home cleaning – especially around the holidays when you’re having people over, perhaps you want to get a professional full home cleaning without having to bust your butt? Seriously, treat yourself. There’s a Gilt City deal right now or you can use my personalized code YVO2132 for $25 off your first cleaning.
(I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, and 2 hours is plenty. Honestly, every 2 weeks is probably overkill, but every 4 weeks is not enough… and 3 weeks isn’t an option. So I reschedule them sometimes.)
- Amazon.com – I’m not sure I have to tell you that Amazon has a million fun things to order, but today is the last day you can order from Amazon with 2 day delivery to arrive by Christmas Eve. Also, if you start your shopping from smile.amazon.com – a percentage of your purchase price goes towards a charity of your choice! Mine goes towards the ASPCA.
- Here’s an obvious one: gift cards to your favorite restaurant… some can be ordered online and then just emailed to someone else! I did that one year for my brother and his then-girlfriend. *grumble I wonder if they ever even used it…* (Cafe Boulud & Ai Fiori, in case you’re wondering – that’s where I normally gift people certificates. Well, this year it would be Ristorante Morini, but you know, still AltaMarea Group!)
I think that’s a pretty well-rounded set of gifts, both food and non-food focused. And because I’m a hater, here…
For your mom who is just going to return what you got her anyway, give her an experience – take her somewhere she’d never go on her own. Buy ear plugs ahead of time so you can’t hear her complain about the cold or why you don’t have a car to drive her back and forth, and just enjoy.
For your sister who is just going to complain about what you got her, no matter if it’s exactly what she put on her Christmas wishlist that you keep telling her not to send to you because you despise adult wishlists, give her an empty box. When she opens it and says, “why did you give me an empty box?” slap her upside the back of the head. Don’t worry about being uninvited from future holiday gatherings; the memory of that will last a lifetime. **Credit to Christine for the idea
For your brother who is going to guilt trip you repeatedly about not spending Christmas with your family, photoshop some photos of you with your family around a Christmas tree so it looks like you spent Christmas with them.
Happy holidays, everyone!!! Hope yours are joyful and bright, and that you relax and eat well and enjoy all of the time you spend with whomever you choose to spend it!
SEE YOU IN THE NEW YEAR!!!