Saturday, April 19, 2014

Aruba

January 2, 2013 by
Filed under Articles, Events, Feisty Fun

About a month ago, I attended an evening of exploring Aruban cuisine. Did you even know there was such a thing? I certainly didn’t, and admit that I was wary everything would have coconut. Island cuisines often contain a lot of coconut, which means I can’t eat anything… but when I expressed my concern to the PR people running the event, they assured me this was not the case and I’d be able to eat everything as served!

20121127_183743.jpg 20121127_190054.jpg

Starting the night right with strong drinks – lots of tropical fruit to help us forget that it was a cold and rainy night out! Crispy seafood fritters that were awesome with the drink, cutting the sugar and adding a lot of texture.

20121127_190503.jpg

The tablescape was absolutely beautiful – romantic but not overly so, just right with the alternating heights in the centerpiece… lovely.

20121127_193852.jpg 20121127_203002.jpg 20121127_205734.jpg

We were also treated to a lovely meal, starting with lobster salad, banana stoba, and a delicious tres lechi dessert (a take on the traditional tres leches). During our meal, we learned about Aruba’s culture: how they have many women in power (progressive!), how Aruba is part of the Netherlands – I had no idea!, and about their rich history. It was incredibly informative… we even got to listen to one of their island treasures play the piano amazingly, passionately, and wonderfully.

At the end of the night, I was thoroughly convinced that I need to visit Aruba ASAP. The weather, gorgeous beaches, lovely food, amazing culture… it’s definitely moved up the list of travel destinations for me! (Yes, I put it on my holiday wishlist!)

Have you been to Aruba? What did you think? Anything amazing I must do/see/eat when I go?

Please note that I attended this event courtesy of the Aruba Board of Tourism, and was under no obligation to post about this event, positively or negatively. I received no monetary compensation to do so. All opinions expressed are my own.

All photos taken with my Samsung Galaxy S III.

Comments

13 Responses to “Aruba”
  1. CheeeeEEEEse says:

Did someone flash the Pedant symbol in the sky?

Aruba was part the Netherlands Antilles, (Which was dissolved in 2010) a grouping of islands that used to be under Dutch rule. Now it is it’s own country along with Curacao and Saint Marten.

2. CheeeeEEEEse says:

I’ve been to Aruba for a day (it was a cruise destination) but all of the memories have been entirely wiped from my mind. It was so unbelievably hot that the constant 15 MPH wind did absolutely nothing to cool me off. I think I went into an air conditioned mall and bought the Linkin Park album Meteora. That’s all I got…

The album was good though.

3. maxlucas087 says:

Famous beach restaurant Aruba are at palm beach and eagle beach serves you finger licking food and best in class beverages. You can experience your dining at the shore of the sea.

4. hungry says:

I’ve never been to Aruba but have been to Curacao. Really lovely beaches. The former is supposed to be nicer but more touristy.

5. Dessert Zombie says:

Never been to Aruba either. Hmmm. I guess another cruise is in order. A vacation with a lot of eating. Why not?

6. Alberta says:

Feisty Foody, you were absolutely correct: Aruba IS part of the Dutch Kingdom. Aruba has not been part of the Netherlands Antilles since 1986. Since 1986, Aruba has received a special separate status within the Kingdom. The other 2 Dutch islands mentioned received that status in 2010.
    Aruba has the most white, powdery beaches… amazing…. and the best food…. you should definitely go.

• Thanks for the correction on the correction! I am definitely eager to visit Aruba as soon as time and finances allow :) If you have any specific restaurant recommendations or resorts/hotels where I should stay, do let me know!

7. taryn says:

oh my gosh…reading this post made me remenisce about my trip to aruba a few years ago!
    everyone we spoke with and encountered were so pleasant and absolutely loved their island. they were all so proud of it and you could tell they loved their jobs as well!