Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Junoon

Many months ago (sometime in May), I was chatting with my friend Cookie. I mentioned to her my experience with gDine, and she checked out the website. When she saw Junoon on the list, she got super excited; Junoon is the only Michelin-starred Indian restaurant in NYC, and she’d wanted to try it for a while. At $49 for a 3-course menu, she immediately snapped up a reservation for two (noting her dietary restrictions), and insisted I go as her guest. You don’t have to twist my arm – especially when, just a week or so earlier, we’d gone to ilili together and had a fabulous time.

Junoon 01.jpgWe explained our dietary restrictions to our server, who actually took the time to go through the entire menu with us, item by item. Cookie is a gluten-free pescetarian, while I’m allergic to coconut (and that shows up frequently in Indian cooking), so it was greatly appreciated. It’s been many months, so I’m not entirely sure of the full contents of each dish… I do know this was a pakora, and we were informed that only I could eat this. Light, crunchy, chewy, delicious – I greatly enjoyed both bites.

Junoon 02.jpgFor her first course, Cookie enjoyed the piri piri shrimp a lot.

Junoon 03.jpg Junoon 04.jpgMy starter of murg tikka was super tender and delicious, though huge for a starter. I greatly enjoyed how juicy each piece of chicken was, and the flavors were absolutely spot on for something I enjoy… I wound up taking half of this home.

Junoon 05.jpgFor Cookie’s main dish, a fish dish that I didn’t try, though I know she thought it was wonderful.

Junoon 08.jpgOur server also brought out a side of… it wasn’t naan, but a special type of ‘bread’ made with chickpea flour. He explained that it’s normally made with half chickpea flour and half whole wheat, but as she is gluten-sensitive, they’d made it entirely with chickpea flour. Cookie enjoyed it a lot.

Junoon 07.jpg Junoon 06.jpgThough I normally avoid ordering the same protein throughout a meal, I truly love korma, and only chicken korma was available that night. I didn’t regret this decision at all: again, juicy, tender chicken, with a creamy almond sauce that was absolutely glorious – especially when mixed with the delicious basmati rice. Again, it was a huge portion and I took some home.

Junoon 09.jpgMy naan – fabulous swiped through that almond cream sauce.

Junoon 10.jpgAnd of course a photo of my rice and chicken korma. So good… I wouldn’t mind having some right now ;)

Junoon 11.jpgWhen dessert rolled around, Cookie opted for the kulfi trio. I believe the flavors were cardamom, mango, and … hmm… not sure. It’s been too long, I’m sorry. But the mango was definitely my favorite! Cookie liked all of it.

Junoon 12.jpgSurprisingly, I opted for a fruit based dessert… probably because of the caramel. I wasn’t too enamored of it – but I was also super stuffed at this point and ready to just roll home. (We didn’t, though; our night continued for a bit!)

Our service was absolutely fabulous once again, and our food was fantastic. Cookie and I thoroughly enjoyed our entire meal – from start to finish, we were completely taken care of, and the food was great.

Yvo says:  There are several prix fixe menu options in addition to the gDine deal – I highly recommend you check them all out before making a decision. The food is lovely, the space is huge, and the service is wonderful. Definitely check it out if you can!
recommended

Junoon on Urbanspoon

Comments

14 Responses to “Junoon”
  1. CheeeeEEEEse says:

NIIIIICEEEE!

This looks great. I may have to nudge my parents into coming here…

Also, ilili was quite baller. Would go again.

• Glad you liked ilili too! I love that place. It’s so good, not that expensive, great atmosphere and fantastic service. Just all around tops.

Let me know what you think of Junoon if/when you get there!

2. Sherm says:

It’s great to finally see new posts on the site. Didn’t want to speak too soon, but it seems like they’re going to continue?

• Hi Sherm! Not sure you saw my post “The Way We Were” – I definitely intend to continue! The site has been experiencing outages due to my extremely horrible web host (I am firing them as soon as I can figure out how to migrate the entire site with as little disruption as possible), but outside of that, expect to see updates regularly. Not daily like before, but definitely regularly :) Thanks for your patience!

3. PIPPO says:

Wow, gracias, hav to go as it is within my area! menu sounds like a kaboomie of a winner!

4. SkippyMom says:

The service and the accomodation for a gluten free pescatarian are beyond the pale. WOW. I am impressed and a wee bit envious. :D I have close friends who are gluten free and I would love to take them to a place that takes the time and makes bread especially for them. That was so sweet! Especially when naan [or naan type bread] is so dang yummy.

I haven’t been around so I didn’t realize you hadn’t either. heehee But glad you are still here. I think of you every night when we watch baseball. Honest! [and that isn't gloating, I promise. I just wish we could get to a game together.]

• This and ilili both accommodated us so well that I can’t stop raving about the excellent service. Food was great at both places but excellent service really brings it to another level, you know?

Ha, I’m onto football already. BTW, are you near Roanoake at all? Have a very good friend out there for work right now and he’s in desperate need of good food :)

5. hungry says:

I found out not too long ago that chickpea/gram/garam flour is very popular in Indian cuisine. I found out my snooping around my in laws’ kitchen. Hahahaha!

Also, that last kulfi is probably pistachio since it’s the most traditional. My FIL makes them from scratch.

Anyway, this place looks really good and am glad that you received that type of service. Fantastic! I haven’t gone yet though because I find the menu pricey.

• That sounds right – pistachio. Thanks! Ooh, from-scratch kulfi. I bet that’s awesome!

The menu is a bit pricey, but the gDine menu is pretty reasonable. I’m not always into ‘fancy’/expensive Indian because there’s so much very good, very inexpensive Indian food in the East Village, but sometimes it’s sooo worth it. This was one of those cases. If you look at the gDine menu, though, the options have changed, so do take a careful look before assuming everything I ordered is available! (This part of the comment goes for everyone who comes by here!)

6. Michael O Grady says:

My wife was almost full after the starter. 9 out of ten.