Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Daisy May’s BBQ

Sometimes life just doesn’t go quite the way you planned – so it was one December Friday when TC and I headed to Philly and instead wound up at Daisy May’s in Hell’s Kitchen.  As you can see from that post I linked, we both went earlier in the year and found it lacking.  However, this time around, with our creamed spinach, mac&cheese, cheesy corn, collard greens, sweet & sticky ribs and dry rub… we were both really pleased.  I really enjoyed my cheesy corn, collard greens, and sweet & sticky ribs, while TC liked his dishes as well.  The mac & cheese was also very good – pasta cooked properly and enough cheese taste in the sauce without being overwhelming.

We had a nice chat with one of the fellows working there too – by the name of Junior – who told us that the sides can be hit or miss depending on how long they’ve been sitting out, which makes total sense.  I still enjoy the food there, and will definitely continue to patronize Daisy May’s – and you should definitely try to make a trip there to check it out!

Daisy May's BBQ USA on Urbanspoon

Comments

11 Responses to “Daisy May’s BBQ”
  1. Sammy says:

You have to try the jumbo beef ribs there next time! They also have bone in rack of lamb special also, but I haven’t tried it yet.

• I want to, but it’s super cost-prohibitive – especially considering a few short years ago it was only $17 or so and now it’s twice that!

• Sammy says:

Wow, it’s doubled since the last time I’ve tried it. Glad I got it when it was $17! If I’m going to pay that much for beef ribs, I might as well get the rack of lamb that can be split between a couple of people instead.

2. T.C. says:

Their ribs are delicious. I enjoy the dry rub but still would like a little sauce on the side.
    I’m stickin’ to my creamed spinach. :P And I’ll be sure to get the cheesy corn more often too.

3. hungry says:

Still my favorite barbecue place in the city for ribs. I’m lucky to live so close to it.

4. Goats says:

The jumbo beef rib is phenomenal. I don’t know about 37 dollars phenomenal but it is really really good. Perhaps a special occasion treat only, but something everyone should try at least once.

• T.C. says:

Good beef rib but def too pricey for my liking and I don’t know if I want to eat a whole one again in a sitting.
      I’m fine with their dry rub and KC style sweet&sticky-icky ooo weee.

• I’ll try it at some point – probably after the price is astronomically high – but when I’ve been lately, I’ve just felt like trying stuff besides the pulled pork. I do agree with Hungry that it’s very good but I have a problem with the consistency; since I don’t live nearby it’s almost definitely a ‘special trip super far west’ for me to get there, and when it isn’t always fantastic, you’re kind of like, do I feel like risking it today?

• hungry says:

I used to get the beef rib all the time when it was half the price. $37 is a lot. Bleh to expensive food.